May 23, 2018
CERRITOS COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Attempt Strong Arm Robbery
On Wednesday, May 23, 2018, at approximately 7:37 pm, Campus Police received a report from a female student regarding an attempt strong arm robbery in Parking Lot #8. The suspect was seen exiting the passenger side of a dark gray Acura, 4-door sedan, with tinted windows. The suspect followed the female victim to where her car was parked, as the Acura drove away. The suspect then approached the victim as she was putting items into her car, and attempted to take her cell phone from her, which she held in her left hand. The victim was able to resist the suspect’s efforts and held onto her phone, as she screamed for help. This caused the suspect to release his grip and run southbound through the lot and on to southbound Studebaker, where it is believed he was picked up by the driver in the Acura. The victim was not injured and no weapon was used.
The suspect is described as a male, white, six feet tall, wearing a white t-shirt with a gold print or lettering on the front, and red gym shorts. At this time, Campus Police is currently conducting a thorough investigation into the matter. Anyone with information is asked to contact Campus Police immediately at (562) 924-3618, or by dialing 911 if it’s an emergency.
Tom Gallivan, Chief of Police
Basic safety precautions
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. Know what is typical and what is not.
- Call 9-1-1 from a campus phone or (562) 402-3674 from a mobile phone to report suspicious activity.
- Be aware of parking lots, walkways and restrooms.
- Travel with others with whom you are comfortable when possible, or call Campus Police for a Security Escort if needed.
- Let others know where you are going, especially if you might be there alone.
- If you are uncomfortable, go to a location where there are other people.
- Headphones can eliminate your ability to be aware of your surroundings.
- Move confidently at a steady pace and make eye contact with people.
- Keep keys in hand when moving to a vehicle.
- Keep windows and doors locked.
- Check the interior of a vehicle before getting in.
- Go to the nearest open business or police station if you are being followed.
- Do not confront a fleeing suspect. Establish a safe distance and obtain a good description and direction of travel for the police.