February 25, 2018
This evening there has been social media discussion about an unconfirmed report of an unspecified threat to a school in Norwalk, CA and our College. We have learned since then that the Norwalk Sheriff's Department has identified and contacted the source responsible for the social media post and have ruled that the threat is not credible. However, as a precaution, Campus Police will have an increased presence on campus throughout the day. There has not been a specific threat against Cerritos College.
If you see anything out of the ordinary on or around campus, please immediately contact Campus Police at 562-402-3674.
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. Know what is typical and what is not.
- Call 911 from a campus phone or (562) 402-3674 from a cell phone to report suspicious activity.
- Be aware of parking lots, walkways and restrooms.
- Travel with others with whom you are comfortable when possible, or call Campus Police for a Security Escort if needed.
- Let others know where you are going, especially if you might be there alone.
- If you are uncomfortable, go to where there are other people.
- Headphones can eliminate your ability to be aware of your surroundings.
- Move confidently at a steady pace and make eye contact with people.
- Keep keys in hand when moving to a vehicle.
- Keep windows and doors locked.
- Check the interior of a vehicle before getting in.
- Go to the nearest open business or police station if you are being followed.
- Do not confront a fleeing suspect, from a safe distance obtain a good description and direction of travel for the police
- Natural Disaster
- Hazardous Material Accident
- Bomb Threat/Explosion
- Violent/Criminal Behavior
- Utility Failure
BEFORE THE EMERGENCY
- See situation-specific information on the Posters.
- Note the location of your Emergency Evacuation Assembly Area for rooms you use/occupy on campus.
- Have emergency phone numbers handy.
- Keeps halls and exits clear of boxes/debris.
- Correct or report hazardous conditions.